Enthusiasm = I A S M: I am sold myself!
I will never forget my first year in direct sales. I came to the office on my first day of work to sell payroll and business services. My boss handed me a huge stack of computerized reports, showing all the businesses in my 4 zip code territory in St. Louis county. Then it struck me, ‘you mean YOU want me to CALL ALL of these businesses, and ask for their commitment to buy from me!?’ In other words, I found out the job was 100% cold calling! How will I survive this, I asked myself? The sales job I had before was inside sales, contacts calling me to buy telecomm, cellular phone, and paging services! I never had to pick up the phone and call anyone! My expectations and my world had changed in an instant…
There is one word that helped me move from a fearful salesperson with no confidence to making sales a lucrative career..the solution:
Enthusiasm! Specifically, the last 4 letters of the word ‘I A S M’ represent I AM SOLD MYSELF!
I used my passion to serve people, make a difference, and my love of helping and supporting others my ammunition to succeed that first year of sales. I carried enthusiasm throughout my career, as I advanced into medical sales. I moved into sales training, wrote 2 books and now I teach, coach, and mentor others on sales self confidence.
What have I learned about the power of ENTHUSIASM and studying thought habits?
As I was reading ‘The Greatest Salesman in the World,’ I came across this from Og Mandino:
Discipline me in the habit of trying and trying again; yet show me the way to make use of the law of averages. Favor me with alertness to recognize opportunity; yet endow me with patience which will concentrate my strength.
HABIT 10: Ask for Guidance
In scroll 10, “The Greatest Salesman in the World:” The power of asking for guidance means:
- When I am experience doubt, I will fake it until I make it!
- I will focus each morning on my mindset for the day through a daily ritual – meditation, prayer, yoga, exercise, reading
- I will seek guidance from a friend, mentor, leader when I am stuck
- I will never think of mistakes as failures (including a lost sale) – instead I will ask, what went well, what would I do different next time?
- I will alway be a source of positive energy and enthusiasm and attract others to me – I will avoid the negative and toxic people and forces in the world
- I will remember that sales is 90% customer service and 10% sales
I think of you as a success minded friend, and I am so excited and passionate about sharing my mission with you: to work with sales and success driven stars to crush their results so they can live a life of PEACE and leave a life of STRESS – to be the BEST version of THEMSELF!
I look forward to sharing tips to building SUCCESS habits over the coming days! Welcome to the journey of being the best version of yourself!
Curious? Let’s talk!